Zope/Plone and Varnish

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Thu Sep 13 22:44:16 CEST 2007

Joao Correia wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Im trying vernish out. I compiled it from source, everything nice.
> I then used CacheFu to generate the vcl file.

CacheFu generates VCL files now?

In any case, discussions of Zope/Plone and CacheFu are not directly
appropriate here, I doubt the Varnish developers know much about it.

>  Im running Varnish in
> port 80 .
> It has some strange behauviour I cannot explain, if enable cache on
> authenticated sessions the page screws up badly, seams css doesnt load
> and I cant understand why.

I'm using Varnish 1.0.4 with CacheFu 1.1 and Plone 3.0 on my website.
Varnish 1.0.4 will only compile on Linux, BSD and similar (i.e. not on
OS X) so be aware of that.

Lots of people (i.e. everyone I've spoken to) have reported problems
with Varnish 1.1.1 in front of Plone (though it's not directly a Plone
problem, since accessing it directly does not exhibit the same behvaiour
- it could of course be some bad cache headers, but I've been unable to
confirm that). I experience periodic "dropped" requests or requests that
never complete (see other thread on this list). I'm really hoping
someone can get to the bottom of this, since being stuck on an older
version is not ideal. :-(

Martin

--
Acquisition is a jealous mistress