Zope/Plone and Varnish

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Sat Sep 15 03:16:07 CEST 2007

On Sep 13, 2007, at 5:03 AM, Joao Correia wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Im trying vernish out. I compiled it from source, everything nice.
> I then used CacheFu to generate the vcl file.  Im running Varnish in
> port 80 .

First, this may not be the best list for your questions.  If you need
help with Plone/CacheFu, it might be more productive to try the Plone
support forums (http://plone.org/support)

Second, the Varnish configs generated by CacheFu are labeled "beta"
as they haven't been completely tested yet.  (perhaps they should
have been labeled 'alpha').

Third, CacheFu's varnish-in-front config in particular has not been
tested well as it depends on the new varnish string substitution
feature which was recently introduced in Varnish 1.1 (which for
unknown reasons is currently unstable with the Plone configuration).

> It has some strange behauviour I cannot explain, if enable cache on
> authenticated sessions the page screws up badly, seams css doesnt load
> and I cant understand why.

Another problem.  None of the CacheFu configs are designed to cache
authenticated sessions.

> Also sending content using the form (Exfile, or image) doesnt work.

Sorry, "doesn't work" is not enough information.

>    /* Do not cache when authenticated via HTTP Basic or Digest
> Authentication */
>    if (req.http.Authenticate || req.http.Authorization) {
>      /*  pipe; */
>        lookup;
>   }
>
>    /* Do not cache when authenticated via "__ac" cookies */
>    if (req.http.Cookie && req.http.Cookie ~ "__ac=") {
>      /*  pipe; */
>       lookup;
>    }
>
>    /* Do not cache when authenticated via "_ZopeId" cookies */
>    if (req.http.Cookie && req.http.Cookie ~ "_ZopeId=") {
>      /*  pipe; */
>       lookup;
>    }

These are probably *bad* changes to the config unless you also add
some extra cache keys for varnish to keep track of the authenticated
pages.

> Other thing is: Can I make lets say a /content on Varnish to be
> http://remote.url/var/$1
> On my website I fetch an html from another server using Ajax and it
> doesnt work because ajax cant
> communicate with other domains because of security issues.

Sorry, I don't understand what this has to do with Varnish.

Ric