Zope/Plone and Varnish hanging

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Tue Sep 18 22:02:08 CEST 2007

Richard Welter wrote:
> I've noticed the same problem as Joao Correia and Martin Aspeli; after
> some requests, especially having to do with forms, Varnish hangs for a
> while.
> The problem has to do with these 2 tickets,
> http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/ticket/129 and
> http://varnish.projects.linpro.no/ticket/47 but it seems there is no
> fix yet, even though ticket 129 has been marked fixed.
>
> I found that adding option '-p pipe_timeout=1' made the problem a bit
> less noticeable by making the hanging pipe time out after just 1
> second, but it still requires you to reload the page after most form
> actions and the error message it shows is not very elegant either.
>
> So is there any idea when this problem might get fixed? Seeing how
> 1.0.4 didn't have this problem there should be a solution for it,
> right?

I suspect there are different problems exhibiting similar behaviour. The
fact that pipe mode doesn't handle POST is one thing, and can cause
forms to hange more or less deterministically. There is a wider issue
with requests hanging intermittently and less predictably in 1.1 and
trunk. Maybe it's something that Plone (or CacheFu) does, but I can't
see a good reason - it's definitely not a problem when accessing the
backend completely.

I did try to post logs, and I'm willing to help debug this, but so far
it seems no-one with enough knowledge of Varnish to guide me in doing so
has had time to look into it.

Martin

--
Acquisition is a jealous mistress