Varnish hangs/delays on backend connections

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Fri Sep 21 20:15:19 CEST 2007

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> Can those of you who have seen hangs/timeouts/delays on backend connections
> please test if -trunk @1968 fixes this issue ?

Ooooh! I just tried this with my Plone site that I've previously
mentioned, where Varnish 1.1.1 was basically useless. I've only been
using it for ten minutes, but it does seem to be reliable and I can't
reproduce the earlier problems. I'm very happy with this!

Do you know which release this fix would make it into? 1.1.2? 2.0?

By way of background: Varnish is rapidly becoming the weapon of choice
for many Plone deployments, since (a) it's much easier to grasp than
Squid and (b) Plone needs a cache server in front of it. Hopefully, this
will reflect positively on Varnish in terms of increased uptake.

Unfortunately, this fix is already too late for my book[1] which has
gone "gold" past couple of days. I had hoped to show how to set up
Varnish 1.1.1, but decided it was too risky since I couldn't make it
work reliably on my own site. Thus, I suggested that readers use 1.0.4
but look out for an updated version of the 1.1 series. If we get a
release that I can make work reliably, I will try to issue some errata
to suggest people use that version instead (since 1.1+ has features,
notably Vary support, that are quite useful for Plone sites).

Cheers,
Martin

[1] http://www.packtpub.com/Professional-Plone-web-applications-CMS/book

--