cache empties itself?

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Tue Apr 8 03:18:24 CEST 2008

On Apr 7, 2008, at 5:22 PM, Michael S. Fischer wrote:

>> of
>> skins
>> every
>> access
>> like
>> performance
>
>> In any case, both of these examples, Plone and Drupal, can indeed
>> cache the
>> output "locally" but that is still not as fast as placing a
>> dedicated cache
>> server in front.  It's almost always faster to have a dedicated
>> single-purpose process do something instead of cranking up the hefty
>> machinery for requests that can be adequately served by the lighter
>> process.
>
> Sure, but this is also the sort of content that can be cached back
> upstream using ordinary HTTP headers.

No, it cannot.  Again, the use case is dynamically-generated content
that is subject to change at unpredictable intervals but which is
otherwise fairly "static" for some length of time, and where serving
stale content after a change is unacceptable.  "Ordinary" HTTP headers
just don't solve that use case without unnecessary loading of the
backend.

> Still waiting for that compelling case that requires independent cache
> configuration,

This is an odd response.  I've already pointed out at least one common
use case which can benefit from "independent" cache configuration.  Is
that not compelling enough?  It might help if you can explain your
criteria for what qualifies as "compelling".

Ric