mass purge causes high load?

Sascha Ottolski ottolski at web.de
Thu Apr 10 16:30:39 CEST 2008

Hi,

I just needed to get rid of about 27,000 stale URLs, that were cached as
404 or 302 due to a configuration error on the backends.

So I did a url.purge in a loop, sleeping 0.1 seconds after each URL:

for i in `cat notfound.txt.sorted` ; do varnishadm -T:81 url.purge $i;
sleep 0.1; done

However, after about half of it I needed to stop, cause the varnish
servers have a high load (about 30, dropping only very slowly), and the
response time is bad (more or less 20 seconds per request :-()

May the purge be the cause? I stopped the purge 45 min. ago, and still
the high load and slow responses. Any way to see what is going on
inside? sometimes the load even goes up, I see a 50 now :-( The traffic
that comes in is normal for this time of day, and usually the load
stays below 3, response time way under a second.

I don't like the idea of performing a restart, don't want to lose the
cache...

Thanks a lot,

Sascha