Unprivileged user?

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Tue Apr 15 05:30:15 CEST 2008

I'm trying to understand the purpose of the "-u user" option for
varnishd.  It appears that even when starting up as root, and the
child process dropping to "nobody", Varnish is still saving and
serving from cache even though "nobody" doesn't have read/write access
to the storage file owned by root.

I'm guessing this is happening because Varnish is reading and writing
to memory instead of the file storage?  So I suppose my question is
what functionality is missing if the effective user doesn't have read/
write privileges to the file storage?  Is the backing file only
accessed by the parent process?  And if so, what is the purpose of the
"-u user" option?

Ric