varnish and logging

Timothy Ball timball at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 19:25:58 CEST 2008

I have a pretty basic setup w/ varnish load balancing infront of apache.

The problem I am experiencing is that the apache logs themselves seem
*really* off (hit rates are nearly one order of magnitude low). So I
examined the varnishlog(1) man pages...

Does anyone have a script that takes varnishlog output and munges it into
something that looks combinedlog-ish? Queries to google-tube have not been
useful.

Just for completeness my configs look like this:

--snip--snip--snip--
# blatantly ripped off from supplied example++
backend default {
        set backend.host = "10.80.80.252";
        set backend.port = "8080";
}
sub vcl_recv {
    if (req.url ~
"\.(css|js|jpg|JPG|png|gif|ico|mov|flv|swf|feed|atom|rss2)") {
        lookup;
    }

    if (req.url ~ ".trackback.") {
        error 503 "Request type not allowed.";