Varnish dumping cache?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Apr 21 08:41:34 CEST 2008

In message <6D94E230-6B99-4483-BDCD-E4EB4401B9E0 at F4.ca>, Skye Poier Nott writes
:
>Update:  I ran varnishd in foreground with -d and I'm seeing these
>periodically, which would explain the cache invalidation...
>
>Child not responding to ping
>Cache child died pid=23899 status=0x9

This is the manager process not getting a reply from the child
process and restarting it, assuming that it is not serving
requests either.

You need to find out why the child process does not reply to pings.

The first thing to do is to increase the managers timeout by increasing
the "cli_timeout" parameter to see if the child process is wedged
or just slow.