Ignoring cookies except for one area

Ian M. Evans ianevans at digitalhit.com
Fri Aug 8 19:27:38 CEST 2008

Thinking of using Varnish to handle the spikes we getting during some
big news events.

Besides our advertisers, we currently only use cookies to stop ballot
stuffing for our online polls.

The only problem is that our cookies are set for "/" because even though
this looks like a directory path:

/poll/vote/173

/poll is actually an extensionless PHP script and /vote/173 its pathinfo.

Looking at some VCL examples, am I correct in assuming that I could just
set Varnish to strip the cookie if the url doesn't not contain /poll?

Would that be:

if (req.url ! [absolutely no idea since I suck at regex]) {
         remove req.http.cookie;
         lookup;
     }

Thanks!