want to allow or deny an URL based on a timestamp

Sascha Ottolski ottolski at web.de
Tue Aug 12 09:53:25 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I'm certain that it's possible, but am not sure how to do it: I want to
let my application create "encrypted" URLs, that are valid only for a
specific amount of time. I guess with the help of embedded C and
manually constructed hash keys this should be doable. Now I'm wondering
if may be someone already has done something like this, or as other
ideas to achieve this?

My idea is basically inspired by a lighttpd module:
http://trac.lighttpd.net/trac/wiki/Docs:ModSecDownload

The workflow would be something like

- "decrpyt" incoming URL
- rewrite URL, extract timestamp
- if not in range, send 404 (or what seems appropriate)
- if timestamp is ok, set hash key
- deliver object from cache or pull from backend

Thanks for any pointer,

Sascha