want to allow or deny an URL based on a timestamp

Darryl Dixon - Winterhouse Consulting darryl.dixon at winterhouseconsulting.com
Wed Aug 13 00:02:07 CEST 2008

I'm not sure how the original post specifically relates to binary file
downloads (not familiar with the lighttpd module referenced). However, I
was going to comment that the requested behaviour is really better
implemented at the backend. My quick sketch of how this might work is
something like:

1) Backend generates time-sensitive URL and flags it with some
application-specific header "X-MyApp-Cachetimeout: 500" for eg, a 500
second lifetime.
2) At the same time, it applies all the usual Cache-Control: private etc
for any intermediate caches that may live in the request chain.
3) Varnish watches the returned content and when it sees
X-MyApp-Cachetimeout it knows to cache the object and set the obj.ttl to
the referenced value.
...Time passes...
4) Object expires and Varnish goes to fetch it from the backend, which of
course returns 404 or whatever as the URL has expired.

In this way, the internals of the application are hidden from Varnish as
much as possible and localised inside the application itself.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Darryl Dixon
Winterhouse Consulting Ltd