Varnish Performance Issue

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Dec 3 11:13:07 CET 2008

In message <75cf5800812022248n6704cef5k44ea4ba44876a31c at mail.gmail.com>, "Paras
 Fadte" writes:

>I am faced with following performace issue with respect to Varnish.
>
>Load on Varnish increases suddenly at times. When this happens ,
>"varnishhist" shows a high number of misses and the cache hit ratio
>decreases and the response time  increases.

I think this sounds pretty normal, try examining the traffic pattern
and see if coincides with the arrival of robots/spiders at your
site.

If you want to, you can return a temporary error in vcl_miss if the
user-agent indicates a robot or spider, that way they don't pull
your entire site content into the cache.

Poul-Henning