default.vcl insufficient

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Fri Dec 5 12:45:47 CET 2008

Tim Kientzle <tim at metaweb.com> writes:
> According to the "Getting Started" guide on the website, I should be
> able to just run varnish with the default VCL, but that doesn't
> actually work.

Yes, it does.  Varnish requires that you specify *either* a VCL script
*or* a backend on the command line.  What you did wrong was that you
specified an empty VCL script.  The default VCL script is a copy of the
build-in default script that Varnish uses if you don't specify one, and
is provided for documentation purposes only; you should never use it.

(and yes, the varnishd rc script in the FreeBSD port is incorrect in
this respect; patches are welcome)

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no