What to do when the backend sends no caching information?

Alecs Henry alecshenry at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 21:53:52 CET 2008

Hi All,

In testing varnish in different situations, I came accross a backend that
sends no caching information in its responses, no Expires, cache-control or
anything.
Ok, I thought, I'll just set the TTL on that object (namely an html page) in
VCL.
Well, turns out varnish may be setting the ttl all right (I do it in
vcl_fetch, but frankly there really is no way to see if it is set correctly
or not! or is there?) but the page always gets a PASS, never a HIT. Age: is
set to 0 by varnish.

Thanks for all the help!

Alecs