Example VCL for backend check

Alex Davies alex at davz.net
Mon Dec 15 21:21:47 CET 2008

Hi Per,

Thank-you for your help? With a minor change, your configuration worked
extremely well - is there a wiki for Varnish that I can post it? I've
written out a full, working, configuration for a two-host director below
which might be of use in the VCL examples page.

Another question - is there an easy way to monitor the average pageload time
that varnish experiences when contacting the backends?

Many thanks for your help,

Alex

--

backend wwxx {
.host = "xx.xx.xx.xx";

backend wwxx {
.host = "xx.xx.xx.xx";
.port = "80";
  .probe = {
  .url = "/";
  .timeout = 34 ms;
  .interval = 1s;
  .window = 10;
  .threshold = 8;

director director random {
 {
   .backend = wwxx;
   .weight = 100;
 }
 {
   .backend = wwxx;
   .weight = 100;

sub vcl_recv {
   if (req.http.host ~ "^(www.)?mysite.com$") {
       set req.backend = director;

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 6:03 PM, Per Buer <perbu at linpro.no> wrote:
> Hi Alex,
>
> Alex Davies wrote:
>
>> I'm figuring that I need something like
>>
>> # web1
>> backend default {
>
> backends must have uniqe names so you might use:
>
> backend web1 {
>>   .host = "xxx.xxx";
>>   .port = "80";
>>     .probe = {
>>     .url = "/";
>>     .timeout = 34 ms;
>>     .interval = 1s;
>>     .window = 10;
>>     .threshold = 8;
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> # web2
>> backend default {
>
> backend web2{
>
>>   .host = "xxx.xxx";
>>   .port = "80";
>>     .probe = {
>>     .url = "/";
>>     .timeout = 34 ms;
>>     .interval = 1s;
>>     .window = 10;
>>     .threshold = 8;
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> And then something to glue all the backends together, but I see many
>> different options in the manuals! I'd appreciate a pointer in the
>> right direction if anyone could spare one. The vcl man page isnt
>> entirely obvious to me!
>
> Use a director, like this:
>
> director www-director round-robin {
>        {
>                .backend = web1;
>                .weight = 100;
>        }
>        {
>                 .backend = web2;
>                 .weight = 200;
>        }
> }
>

> --
> Per Buer - Leder Infrastruktur og Drift - Redpill Linpro
> Telefon: 21 54 41 21 - Mobil: 958 39 117
> http://linpro.no/ | http://redpill.se/

Alex Davies

the sender immediately by e-mail and delete this e-mail permanently.