Fetch from Socks server.

David de Beer daviddebeer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 16:25:02 CET 2008

Hi, would that mean that I would have to create a tunnel for each http
server that i would need to connect to?

Sounds like a lot of work, if I understand you correctly.

I know privoxy supports socks forwarding, but it does not do caching. I'm
looking for something that will be able to do both.

Thanks!

On Feb 10, 2008 5:10 PM, C. Handel <fragfutter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just create your SSH Tunnel with port forwarding (no need for Socks)
> and point varnish to localhost:port as a source.
>
> ssh -L 8080:www.example.com:80 user at sshhost.example.com
>
> But you will pass all traffic through the encryption of the SSH
> Tunnel, which will produce quite some CPU Load on both the Systems.
>
> Greetings
>   Christoph
>
> On Feb 10, 2008 3:39 PM, David de Beer <daviddebeer at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have not been able to find any info on this subject: Is it possible to
> > have proxy server forward requests to a socks server i.e. using ssh to
> > tunnel to another machine and then poiting the local caching server to
> the
> > port on the local machine (which gets forwarded to another host via)
> >
> > something like this:
> >
> > ssh -f -p 22 -D 45000 -l myname myfriends.host.net -N
> >
> > this will create a SOCKS5 server on 127.0.0.1:45000
> >
> > Can then one basically ask the caching server to retrieve everything
> through
> > socks server on 127.0.0.1:45000 ?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > --