A few users see a blank page

Marco Molinari marco.molinari at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 12:31:19 CET 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 12:02 PM, Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at linpro.no> wrote:
>  You didn't say which version you're using, but from this backend
>  definition, it's certainly not trunk.  It would be very helpful to
>  know whether you see the same behaviour with trunk.

Hi,
I tried trunk and I don't get any blank page with it. I'm sorry I
didn't try it earlier.

>  >        if (req.http.Pragma == "no-cache") {
>  >                pipe;
>  >        }
>
>  Are you sure you want to do this?
>
>  If the point of this is to allow the client to Shift-Reload, you
>  should purge the URL to force a reload from the backend, instead of
>  piping the request.

That's the point, I just needed a quick way to purge an URL.
Later I'll definetely purge it from the backend.

Thanks for your reply, I'm still learning a lot about Varnish,
especially the difference between pass and pipe. Actually the "pipe"
for POST and req.http.Expect were taken from the default vcl.
If I understand correctly "pipe" means that further data between
client and server is passed until the connection is closed, while
"pass" means that the current request will be passed, but further
requests in the same connection will be normally processed by the vcl
file (and could be looked-up, for example).
Is this correct? Would you please make some examples where "pass" and
"pipe" are preferred?

Thanks,
Marco