still trying to purge

Charlie Farinella cfarinella at appropriatesolutions.com
Wed Feb 20 21:46:22 CET 2008

Hi all,

For the moment I have given up trying to do the http purge thing and am
trying to find a workaround.  I have the following shell script:

==
#!/bin/sh
host=127.0.0.1
port=6082
cmd="url.purge"
param=".*"

echo open ${host} ${port}
sleep 1
echo ${cmd} ${param}
sleep 3
echo exit
==

The result of this script is:
==
./clearcache.sh | telnet
telnet> Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
Escape character is '^]'.
105 20
Too many parameters
Connection closed by foreign host.
==

If I put any other command in the script, it works fine.  If I
use 'url.purge' as the command, but '^/$' as the parameter, that works
fine.  Only the '*' or '.*' throws the 'too many parameters' error.
What is the correct command and format to purge the entire cache?

If anyone has a solution for me I would be very appreciative.  If I
cannot find an automated way for the web development people to clear
this cache at will, I'm going to have to try to set up Apache or Squid
to do the caching and I'd just rather not do that.  :-)

Charles Farinella
Appropriate Solutions, Inc. (www.AppropriateSolutions.com)
cfarinella at AppropriateSolutions.com
voice: 603.924.6079   fax: 603.924.8668