still trying to purge

Charlie Farinella cfarinella at appropriatesolutions.com
Wed Feb 20 23:17:29 CET 2008

As long as I'm being a pain in the neck and asking a lot of questions, I
have another:

Sometimes ( not always ), purging the cache crashes Varnish.  I have it
monitored by monit which restarts it, but it would be better if I could
prevent that.  Is this a known issue?  Misconfiguration?

Version 1.1.2 installed via rpm on a RedHat Enterprise 5.1 server.

--charlie

On Wednesday 20 February 2008, Charlie Farinella wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 February 2008, Charlie Farinella wrote:
>
> In case anyone has the same problem, this will work:
>
> # scriptname
> #!/bin/sh
> host=127.0.0.1
> port=6082
> cmd="url.purge"
>
> echo open ${host} ${port}
> sleep 1
> echo ${cmd} \*
> sleep 3
> echo exit
>
> $: ./scriptname | telnet
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > For the moment I have given up trying to do the http purge thing and
> am
> > trying to find a workaround.  I have the following shell script:
> >
> > ==
> > #!/bin/sh
> > host=127.0.0.1
> > port=6082
> > cmd="url.purge"
> > param=".*"
> >
> > echo open ${host} ${port}
> > sleep 1
> > echo ${cmd} ${param}
> > sleep 3
> > echo exit
> > ==
> >
> > The result of this script is:
> > ==
> > ./clearcache.sh | telnet
> > telnet> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to localhost.localdomain (127.0.0.1).
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > 105 20
> > Too many parameters
> > Connection closed by foreign host.
> > ==
> >
> > If I put any other command in the script, it works fine.  If I
> > use 'url.purge' as the command, but '^/$' as the parameter, that
works
> > fine.  Only the '*' or '.*' throws the 'too many parameters' error.
> > What is the correct command and format to purge the entire cache?
> >
> > If anyone has a solution for me I would be very appreciative.  If I
> > cannot find an automated way for the web development people to clear
> > this cache at will, I'm going to have to try to set up Apache or
Squid