Strategy for large cache sets

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Jul 1 20:24:47 CEST 2008

In message <11FDA9BC-9FA7-4F6A-BA49-F7EB3E3461E5 at F4.ca>, Skye Poier Nott writes
:
>I want to deploy Varnish with very large cache sizes (200GB or more)
>for large, long lived file sets.  Is it more efficient to use large
>swap or large mmap in this scenario?

We have no real-world experience with content of that size, so
the answer is: we don't know.

Off the bat, I would think files would be better, for exactly the
reson you cite: the swap management is pretty thirsty after metadata.