expire/purge race condition fixed?

Håvard Futsæter havard.futseter at met.no
Thu Jul 17 12:57:35 CEST 2008

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> In message <487F1F6A.3070508 at met.no>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?H=E5vard_Futs=E6ter?= writ
> es:
>
>> Hi. I was wondering if this race condition will be fixed in the 2.0 =
>
> Uhm, which race condition ?  I'm not aware of any...

We are using 1.0.4, so this might have been fixed in the latest releas.
I have not seen any mention of it though.

The problem is this:
Varnish receives a request that triggers an url purge regexp and the
object is consequently banned. If the same object has already expired,
but not yet been deleted, the child process restarts itself.

I don't the inner workings in play here, but this is the chain of events
I get from the logs at least.

Please let me know if I have misunderstood something here.

- Håvard