Child not responding to ping, killing it

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jul 23 23:07:46 CEST 2008

In message <1216758437.488642a5413e2 at www.qalpit.com>, Olivier Beau writes:
>Hi all,
>
>I installed varnish (trunk) on 3 redhat5 64bit, (serving the same website)
>
>i see those logs on only one server :
>
>Jul 22 18:12:25 img-front1 varnishd[19818]: Child (27470) not responding to
>ping, killing it.
>Jul 22 18:12:25 img-front1 varnishd[19818]: Child (27470) not responding to
>ping, killing it.
>Jul 22 18:12:25 img-front1 varnishd[19818]: Child (27470) died signal=9

Try increasing the cli_timeout and ping_interval parameters  and see if
that mitigaes the issue.

If it does, then the child simply gets stuck for long periods of time.

If it doesn't change things, then the child is stuck in an endless loop
and getting a stack backtrace from a core file would be wonderful.

Right now you'll not get a coredump on the signal 9, but give me a
few minutes, and the coredump will be controled by the diag_bitmap
paramter.