Blew away .../var/varnish/HOSTNAME/ -- broke varnishstat, how to recover?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Jun 2 17:19:06 CEST 2008

In message <209C76B7-DE29-4033-AB6C-E687B6B97644 at nasa.gov>, Chris Shenton write
s:

>What's the recommended way to re-create this directory?  I'm assuming
>restarting Varnish will re-create it but want to be sure.

Yes, restarting varnish (completely: ie both manager and child process)
should recreate it with no side effects.

>We have to fill out pounds of paperwork in order to take any outage on
>a public server, no matter how small.  Is there a way to restart
>Varnish without any downtime -- to continue accepting but holding
>connections until restarted, rather like Apache's "apachectl graceful"
>does?  Other ideas?

Varnish doesn't spend long time on startup, so I would just get it
done and over with.

You are in no rush however, so you can schedule it for whenever
you want.

(In the meantime, if you have enabled the telnet option, you can still
see the stats through the CLI interface.)