Blew away .../var/varnish/HOSTNAME/ -- broke varnishstat, how to recover?

Michael S. Fischer michael at dynamine.net
Mon Jun 2 18:14:49 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Chris Shenton <chris.shenton at nasa.gov>
wrote:

> We have to fill out pounds of paperwork in order to take any outage on
> a public server, no matter how small.  Is there a way to restart
> Varnish without any downtime -- to continue accepting but holding
> connections until restarted, rather like Apache's "apachectl graceful"
> does?  Other ideas?

Can you avoid the problem by putting your Varnish servers behind a load
balancer?  That way, you can preemptively disable the server from taking
traffic on the LB side prior to restarting Varnish, thereby eliminating any
perceivable customer effect.

Also, be careful about using "apachectl graceful" (especially combined with
log rotation), as connections that are currently idle but which may never
receive traffic again will not be terminated.  I consider it too leaky to
use.

Best regards,

--Michael