how to...accelarate randon access to millions of images?

Sascha Ottolski ottolski at web.de
Fri Mar 14 21:37:03 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm relatively new to varnish (I'm having an eye on it since it appeared
in public, but so far never really used it). Now the time may have come
to give it whirl. And am wondering if someone could give me a little
advise to get me going.

The challenge is to server 20+ million image files, I guess with up to
1500 req/sec at peak. The files tend to be small, most of them in a
range of 5-50 k. Currently the image store is about 400 GB in size (and
growing every day). The access pattern is very random, so it will be
very unlikely that any size of RAM will be big enough...

Now my question is: what kind of hardware would I need? Lots of RAM
seems to be obvious, what ever "a lot" may be...What about the disk
subsystem? Should I look into something like RAID-0 with many disk to
push the IO-performance?

Thanks in advance,

Sascha