how to...accelarate randon access to millions of images?

C. Handel fragfutter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 20:01:54 CET 2008

> > On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 1:37 PM, Sascha Ottolski <ottolski at web.de>
>  wrote:
>  > >  The challenge is to server 20+ million image files, I guess with
>  > > up to 1500 req/sec at peak.

>  well, wo far I have analyzed the webserver logs of one week. this
>  indicates that indeed there would be at least some cache hits. we have
>  about 20 mio. images on our storage, and in one week about 3.5 mio
>  images were repeadetly requested. to be more precise:

I just wonder why would you use varnish? Is there any extensive
database or other processing power you need to complete before serving
the image? Wouldn't you be better of using some kind of Content
Delivery Network, possibly using shards of your image store?

Serving static files using a http-accelerator seems odd to me.

Greetings
   Christoph