how to...accelarate randon access to millions of images?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Mon Mar 17 20:40:09 CET 2008

In message <3d62bd5f0803171234q26fa6157q26ae1916e5a37e55 at mail.gmail.com>, "C. H
andel" writes:

>  Finally, I would advice you guys to seriously look at flash-"disk"
>>  drives.  The virtual elimination of seektime is just what you want
>>  from a web server or cache.
>
>Having Flash Drives for 400GB of content could kill some budgets ;)

It's a price performance issue:

I think the 32GB 2.5" Mtron is in the $1K area, so you'd need about
15 of those + some carriers and controllers.  Call it $20K in total.

For that you get a compact disk system with virtually no seek-time,
a power dissipation of around 40W and no disk-crashes.

I know people who nearly cry when they realize that is possible :-)

Poul-Henning