Miscellaneous questions

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at linpro.no
Wed Mar 19 09:43:16 CET 2008

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> "Michael S. Fischer" <michael at dynamine.net> writes:
> > So does Varnish close HTTP Keep-Alive backend connections after an
> > idle period?  or not?
> We _never_ close a backend connection until the backend closed its
> end.

OK, my mistake.  I thought we did, because I've rarely seen a backend
connection that lasted longer than a request or two.  This is probably a
backend issue.

BTW, this gives me the idea that VCL should support a "vcl_start" (or
perhaps "vcl_use") function that is run only once, when you vcl.use this
particular VCL script; and that it should support setting any run-time
parameter (or at least those that don't require a restart).  Thus, when
you switch from your standard config to your emergency config, there is
no need to manually change timeouts or other parameters.

While we're all gathered around the wishing well, I wish "remove" was
named "unset" (see attached patch) and "unset" on a run-time parameter
should reset it to its default value.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav