!obj.cacheable passes?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sat Mar 22 21:15:58 CET 2008

In message <F2ADEF86-D6C7-46A8-BEE5-39170755159F at digitalmarbles.com>, Ricardo Newbery writes:

>I'm looking at the default vcl and I see the following stanza:
>
>          sub vcl_hit {
>              if (!obj.cacheable) {
>                  pass;
>              }
>              deliver;

An object can be cached as "not cacheable".

When we have a cache-miss, the client goes to the backend.  If another
client asks for the same object before that first client has got a
response from the backend, it is put on hold.

If the response was not cacheable, we insert a "not cacheable" object,
so that clients that ask for this object go to vcl_hit and hit the
backend right away, even if other clients are already hitting the
backend for that object.