Varnish vs. X-JSON header

Stig Sandbeck Mathisen ssm at linpro.no
Fri Mar 28 10:41:43 CET 2008

On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 08:15:59 +0100, Florian Engelhardt <f.engelhardt at 21torr.com> said:

Received from backend.

>    15 RxHeader     b X-JSON: foobar

Varnish object contains the header.

>    14 ObjHeader    c X-JSON: foobar

Sent to client.

>    14 TxHeader     c X-JSON: foobar

Lost on the way :P

> Hehe, problem solved. It looks like our admin configured our
> firewall a little bit to restrictive.  The header is in the
> response, but it gets filtered out firewall.

Good thing you have logs to see what happened.  What kind of firewall
is it, and what is it trying to do with your HTTP requests?  Remove
all headers it does not recognize?

I remember the Cisco PIX doing something like that with SMTP, it
rewrote all non-SMTP commands, including ESMTP, to "XXXX <argument>",
and rewrote them back to the original command when the server
responded with "XXXX: Command not implemented".  It was kind of
surprising the first time...

> One thing left: The "Transfer-Encoding" is still missing in the
> response.

"Transfer-Encoding: chunked" is set by the backend, but when the
object is sent from Varnish to the client, it's not present.  I'm not
sure if it is still relevant for the varnish->client connection.

Does the absense of the header create problems?

--
Stig Sandbeck Mathisen, Linpro