PURGE http method and compression.

Ricardo Newbery ric at digitalmarbles.com
Thu May 1 23:55:22 CEST 2008

On Apr 28, 2008, at 4:21 AM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <4815AA34.5040300 at wiggy.net>, Wichert Akkerman writes:
>
>> That's interesting. So the default VCL for HTTP PURGE requests will
>> not
>> purge all variants? How can a backend know which variants there are
>> so it
>> can purge all of them?
>
> It probably can't, so if your backend returns "Vary:" headers, you
> should
> use the url.purge or hash.purge method.

Well, this is very unfortunate.  Both url.purge and hash.purge are
command line only, correct?  Can you think of any way to purge all
variants via a PURGE request with some vcl tricks?

If not, then are there any plans to support proper variant purging in
vcl?  I realize this may be difficult problem -- Squid also only
recently managed to fix variant purging.  But it's a serious problem
regardless.

Ric