zope-plone.vcl

Stig Sandbeck Mathisen ssm at linpro.no
Mon May 5 14:59:24 CEST 2008

On Fri, 2 May 2008 02:41:11 -0700, Ricardo Newbery <ric at digitalmarbles.com> said:

> The problem with the example zope-plone.vcl is that it excludes ALL
> cookie-authenticated responses -- even those inline images, css, and
> javascript files that otherwise would be cacheable in downstream
> caches -- making authenticated browsing unnecessarily taxing on the
> backend.

That's certainly true, yes.  The zope-plone.vcl example is not in any
way efficient for authenticated sessions.  As I recall, it was
originally used for sites which did not publish through Varnish at
all, or used authenticated sessions.

I'll look at the points in this thread, test a bit, and update the
example.  The plone.recipe.varnish template looks especially nice.

Are there any good reasons not to run Plone with the CacheFu (or
CacheSetup) product installed?  Would a non-CacheFu example be of any
use?

--
Stig Sandbeck Mathisen, Linpro