Varnish caching issues, cache size, expires, cache resets, whatsgoing on?

Brian Smith brian at briansmith.org
Wed May 7 00:22:18 CEST 2008

Demitrious Kelly wrote:
> Does anybody have any insight into this behavior?  We would like to not
> have to resort to multiple varnish servers with mickey mouse hacks like
> staggering restarts to reduce the effect on the back end servers.

Maybe a fragmentation issue?  When heaps get fragmented then it is common to
see the behavior you are experiencing. Try to use the malloc-based storage
instead of the mmap-based storage, and experiment with different malloc
implementations that are known to be good w.r.t. fragmentation.

Regards,
Brian