Second and subsequent ESI includes not cached

JT Justman jt at endpoint.com
Fri May 9 20:47:01 CEST 2008

Hello, Varnish folks! I am currently in the process of testing the ESI
features of Varnish. I have discovered that if I place more than one
<esi:inclide> on a document, any includes beyond the first are inserted
to the cache, but never hit on subsequent requests. I have tried to
determine if this is caused by something in my configuration but have
been unable to locate anything. I have distilled my test case down to
something which ought to be reproducible.

We are running varnish-trunk, latest revision within a week or so.

ESI is being triggered off the filename, for simplicity sake, as such:

sub vcl_fetch {
    remove obj.http.Set-Cookie;

    if (req.url ~ "esi\.html$") {
        esi;

varnish is being tested by several users on the server simultaneously,
using different non-privileged usernames and instance names (via -n).

See attached:

1) varnish_esi_case.txt, showing the contents of the source files,
detailed headers for all objects. Demonstrates that on two subsequent
requests, the max-age on the second include is not honored

2) varnish_varnishlog_output.txt, showing the output of varnishlog
(excliding ping/PONG) though a purge, and then both requests to the
ESI-enabled document.

An observation, which could easily be a mis-correlation: second and
subsequent requests for esi fragments are logged with an 'XID' of '0'. I
do not know if this is intentional or perhaps indicative of the
underlying problem.

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

--
JT Justman