Conditional GET (was Re: caching using ETags to vary the content)

Ryan Tomayko r at tomayko.com
Tue Nov 4 22:57:49 CET 2008

On 11/4/08 12:51 PM, Miles wrote:
> I know varnish doesn't do If-None-Match, but I don't think that is a
> problem in this scheme.

I'm curious to understand why Varnish doesn't do validation / conditional GET.
Has If-Modified-Since/If-None-Match support been considered and rejected on
merit or is it something that could theoretically be accepted into the
project? Has it just not received any real interest?

Personally, I'd love to see support for conditional GET as this can
significantly reduce backend resource use when the backend generates cache
validators upfront and 304's without generating the full response.

Ryan