Frontend caching to multiple sites

Alecs Henry alecshenry at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 23:04:24 CET 2008

Hi all,

First let me congratulate the people involved in Varnish, great software!!!

I've looked around the the mailing list but was unable to find an answer to
my question.

I want to set up varnish as a reverse proxy/cache to multiple customer
sites.
As in, I have 10 different customers, each with its own web site (domains)
with their own necessities, compression, cookie, authentication, etc; each
customer is a different setup from the other, so I thought "OK! Let's use a
different VCL for each customer and all will be fine".

Bear with me here, I've just started playing with varnish, but it seems that
I can't create a different VCL file for each customer and load it in varnish
(vcl.use ...) as varnish will stop responding for the previous site and
start responding only to the new one (active configuration). Meaning, the
content that is served is only the content from the new site, even if using
the correct domain.

How can I go about setting this up?
I'm using Varnish 2.0.1, just downloaded and compiled it today.

I really aprecciate all the help you can give!

Alecs