round-robin director

Michael Moyle michael at orinoco.jp
Mon Nov 17 11:07:16 CET 2008

Per,

I appreciate your interest in this issue.

> Have a look at varnishlog. There might be a hint there what is going on.
> Maybe there are connectivity issues with the first backend?

Connectivity is fine for both hosts.

I have gone through several tests, this time with two hosts, and I
can't be confident that the load balancer is working. varnish seems to
establish a preference for one host and stick with it.

I also tried using probes, and random.

To refresh, each hosts is an apache virtual host on the same IP
address with a different host name and port number.

round robin with probes: stays with one hosts even if the weight of
the other host is the same or greater.

round robin (no probes): will cycle between hosts if one has
index.html and the other has index.cgi or no index file.

I tried clearing the browser cache, and using multiple browsers.
However all requests are from the same host. I am still wondering if
it is something to do with my environment.

I will paste some varnishlog and varnishstat data for a simple case
with two RR hosts, and no probes.

Thanks again. I'll continue to look into it.

varnishlog (2 requests): please find attached vlog.txt
varnishstatus:

0+00:14:32
                              theloin
Hitrate ratio:        0        0        0
Hitrate avg:     0.0000   0.0000   0.0000

          11         0.00         0.01 Client connections accepted
          35         0.00         0.04 Client requests received
           0         0.00         0.00 Cache hits
           0         0.00         0.00 Cache hits for pass
           0         0.00         0.00 Cache misses
          35         0.00         0.04 Backend connections success
           0         0.00         0.00 Backend connections not attempted
           0         0.00         0.00 Backend connections too many
           0         0.00         0.00 Backend connections failures
          17         0.00         0.02 Backend connections reuses
          35         0.00         0.04 Backend connections recycles
           0         0.00         0.00 Backend connections unused
           1          .            .   N struct srcaddr
           0          .            .   N active struct srcaddr
           2          .            .   N struct sess_mem
           1          .            .   N struct sess
           0          .            .   N struct object
           2          .            .   N struct objecthead
           3          .            .   N struct smf
           0          .            .   N small free smf
           3          .            .   N large free smf
           2          .            .   N struct vbe_conn
           1          .            .   N struct bereq
          10          .            .   N worker threads
          10         0.00         0.01 N worker threads created
           0         0.00         0.00 N worker threads not created
           0         0.00         0.00 N worker threads limited
           0         0.00         0.00 N queued work requests
           0         0.00         0.00 N overflowed work requests
           0         0.00         0.00 N dropped work requests
           2          .            .   N backends
           0          .            .   N expired objects
           0          .            .   N LRU nuked objects
           0          .            .   N LRU saved objects
           0          .            .   N LRU moved objects
           0          .            .   N objects on deathrow
           0         0.00         0.00 HTTP header overflows
           0         0.00         0.00 Objects sent with sendfile
          20         0.00         0.02 Objects sent with write

regards,
Michael