Remove only selected cookies from requests?

Espen Braastad espen at linpro.no
Tue Oct 7 15:49:46 CEST 2008

Hi,

The question:
Is it possible to match cookie names in each request to a regexp, and
remove only specified cookies? Other cookies must not be removed.

The scenario:
 - All requests to the site from the clients have cookies from Google
Analytics set. We would like to remove these.
 - Some of the requests to the site from the clients have cookies with
session information set. We would like to keep these.

Requests with the Google Analytics cookies set (the cookie names are
__utmz, __utma, __utmb, __utmc) should get these cookies removed, and
inserted into cache if no other cookies are present. The requests with
the session cookies must be passed (default varnish behaviour).

Today we are using unset req.http.cookie on some file types defined in
the vcl, but a more efficient method would be to remove all the google
cookies making varnish able to cache even more of the requests.

Thanks,

--
mvh
Espen Braastad,