Welcome back from vacation!

Rob S rtshilston at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 09:39:58 CEST 2009

Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
>
>> "Dag-Erling Smørgrav" <des at des.no> writes:
>>
>>> Hmm, UK, September...  Why not Cambridge?
>>>
>> Because London is where the bloke who stuck his hand up thought he
>> could do it.
>>

> How about putting him in touch with rwatson@ and see if something can be
> arranged?
>
> DES

Morning all.  I'm the brave person who raised my hand.  Could anyone who
thinks they'd like to assist (no matter how small) with the organisation
send me an email over the next day or two to introduce yourself?  I
think the general flow of the organisation should be as follows:

1) Find people who might like to help
2) Write a quick questionnaire to go to the mailing lists asking people
what they want for the conference
3) Review the answers, and get organising.

To introduce myself:  We selected varnish to provide load balancing and
back-end-failure-tolerance on a hosting platform we run for a
newspaper's website.  Whilst Varnish operates well, there are a number
of little problems we run in to which I'm sure everyone else has
encountered.  A user-group meeting could help exchange experiences and
answers between people.

My ideas for the first user-group meeting - I think we could discuss any
of the following:
 * General networking and chatting with other users over a drink or two.
 * The basics: An introduction to varnish
 * VCL tips and tricks: What cunning things have people done?
 * What people have achieved using inline C?
 * Consider spinning off a quick session to discuss re-structuring the
wiki to make things easier to find
 * A "Get problems off your chest" opportunity.  Are there things that
people have small issues with but which they've not raised tickets for,
because they think they're minor?
 * An opportunity to thank phk in person for all the hard work he's put
in.a

But, obviously these are my ideas.  What do other people want to do or
discuss?

Finally, I'm away from 29th Aug through 28th September.  So,
realistically, it'll have to be mid-late October.

Rob