abnormally high load?

Rob S rtshilston at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 18:41:52 CEST 2009

Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to figure out if this is a normal situation or not.  We have a
> varnish instance in front of 12 tokyo tyrant instances with some inline C
> in the VCL to determine which backend to talk to.

If you restart varnish during one of these spikes, does it instantly
disappear?  I've seen this happen (though only spiking to about 12), and
this is when Varnish has munched through far more memory than we've
allocated it.  This problem is one I've been looking into with Ken
Brownfield, and touches on
http://projects.linpro.no/pipermail/varnish-misc/2009-April/002743.html
and http://projects.linpro.no/pipermail/varnish-misc/2009-June/002840.html

Do any of these tie up with your experience?

Rob