abnormally high load?

Ken Brownfield kb+varnish at slide.com
Thu Aug 13 04:06:53 CEST 2009

I never found a way to see how much stack is /used/ vs. /allocated/ in
a process or thread, so it would be great if someone had ideas?

I could only experiment in production, first moving us to 1MB, then
256KB.  I've yet to see any issues at 256KB, but we can reach the
upper limits of thread-count sanity on our boxes with that setting, so
I haven't dropped it further in production.

The minimums I reached in minimal testing were 128KB with the ulimit
method, and 64KB with the (IMHO cleaner) backend/worker-thread-only
approach.  I'm not sure what in Varnish would use more than that much
stack, but 256KB seems like the sweet spot.

We're 64-bit Ubuntu, and I would assume that a somewhat smaller stack
would work on 32-bit, possibly making 128KB safe.

Unless you're doing recursion or using large declared structures in
inline C, I wouldn't think you'd see large stack allocations or huge
shifts in allocation during operation.  I don't /believe/ objects are
ever allocated on the stack, or that there's a lot of recursion in the
code.

FWIW I personally don't see any red flags.
--
Ken