Thank you varnish team

Henry Paulissen h.paulissen at qbell.nl
Sat Aug 22 18:17:10 CEST 2009

Because there is no other real place to do this, im going to rubbish this
maillist.

I would like to thank everybody who is involved in the development of
varnish.

It's a super product and its performance is outstanding (especially if your
used to squid).

First time we struggled some bid with the config, but it sure is flexible
and highly customizable.

We are currently doing a 5000 connections per second on a regular day
(regular static images), and 500 connections per second for big photo's
(1280x1024). Both servers are in a seperate server daemon on the same
physical host.

Before this setup we used 2 physical lighthttpd servers to serve all the
images, but on the most busiest hours it was a bit laggy and load times
varied from 200ms to 5s a images. Most likely this is due the fact there are
some problems about threading in lighthttpd (it only uses 1 thread).

With our new varnish setup we have 2 physical servers serving cache miss
images and a varnish server who caches it. We choose for 2 backend servers
for the redundancy we could let 1 server serve all images. In the near
future we will go to more varnish servers to add redundancy and maybe we are
going to make a CDN with it.

Varnish server:

Intel XEON 3.2GHZ

4GB Memory

CPU Load:

Cpu0  :  2.1% us,  1.1% sy,  0.0% ni, 96.3% id,  0.4% wa,  0.0% hi,  0.0% si

Cpu1  :  0.5% us,  0.4% sy,  0.0% ni, 98.6% id,  0.5% wa,  0.0% hi,  0.0% si

Cpu2  :  2.8% us,  0.9% sy,  0.0% ni, 96.2% id,  0.1% wa,  0.0% hi,  0.0% si

Cpu3  :  0.3% us,  0.2% sy,  0.0% ni, 99.1% id,  0.3% wa,  0.0% hi,  0.0% si

Maybe I could install boinc on it, so it can crunch some cpu to find ET :p.

Keep up the development.

But watch out you aren't making a huge loggy squid from it, with features
nobody is using ;).

My customer prefers to stay anonymous.

But I can say he's in top 500 of alexa world ranking.

Regards,

Henry