Cache configuration

maillists0 at gmail.com maillists0 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 23:20:52 CEST 2009

I'm calling Varnish with the option "-s file,/dir/cachefile,1g"  When I
restart it, I see that everything is fetched fresh from the source server.
Is that expected behaviour? Can I make the cache persist across
restarts/reboots?

Related question: how should I plan memory/swap usage? I have millions of
4-5k objects. I'd like to limit the cache size of a single varnish server to
around 50Gigs. Should I expect that varnish will try to use that same amount
in swap? What about corresponding memory usage?

Also, may I add that varnishlog is the coolest thing since sliced bread?