Handling 304 and header refresh

Daniel Rodriguez coolbomb at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 13:10:41 CET 2009

Hi,

Sorry for my late reply, but i had a couple of out-of-office days and
i was not able to write.

You are right, in the second request there is no "If-Modified-Since"
in the communication between the varnish-backend, but between the
client-varnish there is a  "If-Modified-Since" (this can be verified
in the varnish logs attached before), so varnish some how is asking
for a unconditional GET, and ignoring the "If-Modified-Since", like
Tollef also stated in a later reply to this thread

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Tollef Fog Heen
<tfheen at redpill-linpro.com> wrote:
> ]] Daniel Rodriguez
[...]
> Your backend seems to reply with 304 to an unconditional GET request,
> which is quite odd.

So there is no way to get this to work as as i want?.

I'm also interested in the reason of why it's a bad idea to set a a
max-age value on a 304 response, and open to any suggestion.

Best Regards,

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 3:44 PM, Bedis 9 <bedis9 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It sounds good that Varnish does not cache a 304 answer ;)
> In the second request, you have no "If-Modified-Since" headers in your
> request and your origin seems to answer you with a 304, which is not
> realy what varnish should expect!
>
> By the way, it's a very bad idea to setup a Cache-Control header with
> a max-age value on a 304 response.
>
> cheers

[...]