can backend trigger pipe?

David Birdsong david.birdsong at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 01:56:05 CET 2009

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 4:21 PM, Gaute Amundsen <gaute at pht.no> wrote:

> Say I have site where an admin page takes a few minutes to complete, and
> it outputs text to notify about progress and keep the connection from
> timing out.
>
> Lets pretend I only have this one IP and port.
>
> Is there any other way to handle this than to hardcode "pipe" for those
> urls in vcl_recv?
>
> Any way for the script to return a header that can tell vcl_fetch to
> pipe? Or is that too late?
>
> Am I right to assume that "pass" is not intended to work in a case like
> this?

I'm keen to hear a response on this too.

I've been meaning to test out some layering where something behind
varnish determines a high enough 'hit' count and sets a header
indicating so.  Without this header set varnish would simply pipe all

I've always assumed this was a valid thing to do in vcl_fetch, but I
haven't gotten around to testing it.