Slow connections

Michael S. Fischer michael at dynamine.net
Tue Dec 29 07:43:07 CET 2009

That kind of VM overcommit (400GB on an 8GB box) is hazardous for performance anyway.  I strongly advise configuring Varnish cache sizes at slightly under the actual RAM size of the box.  If your working set size is larger, you need more boxes or more RAM anyway, as paging I/O will significantly impede your throughput.

Another thing that would be useful to know are the TCP stats from the haproxy, e.g., netstat -s -t (Linux).  Unfortunately you can't determine retransmits on a per-destination basis using netstat alone, but there might be open source tools out there that can help.

Finally, sometimes I've seen these issues where the network interface or the switch were having speed/duplex autonegotiation issues or bad network cables; manually configuring the switch (e.g. to 1Gb full duplex) sometimes solved the issue.

--Michael

>>> http://friendpaste.com/3lt3uhIm1NTNhrqGxvQEX6 the sysctl on haproxy is