is 2.0.2 not as efficient as 1.1.2 was?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Feb 4 19:53:43 CET 2009

In message <37EADDE4-A23A-4204-B04A-46D47D348D7A at automattic.com>, Barry Abraham
son writes:

>> This week we upgraded to 2.0.2 and are using varnish's back end &
>> director configuration for the same work.  What we are seeing is that
>> 2.0.2 holds about 60% of the objects in the same amount of cache space
>> as 1.1.2 did (we tried tcmalloc, jemalloc, and mmap.)

Your description does not make it obvious to me what is causing this
but one candidate could be the stored hash-string, in particular if
your URLS are long.

The new purge code (likely included in 2.0.3, but already available
in -trunk) dispenses with the need to store the hash-string so theory
could be tested.