Default behaviour with regards to Cache-Control

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Feb 12 11:06:35 CET 2009

In message <loom.20090212T090929-981 at post.gmane.org>, Ole Laursen writes:
>Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at ...> writes:

>I looked up private here
>
>  http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html
>
>and it says
>
>    Indicates that all or part of the response message is intended
>    for a single user and MUST NOT be cached by a shared cache.

We don't consider varnish a "shared cache" in the RFC2616 sense of
the concept, because the varnish instance is fully under the control
of the servers administrator, and should therefore be considered
part of the server.

The fine point here is that you *know* why your headers are the way
the are, and can implement the policy you desire in your VCL,
whereas a "hostile" shared cache can only look at the headers
and do as told, not knowing the underlying reason.