Varnish and mp3 streaming on demand

Ole Laursen olau at iola.dk
Thu Feb 12 16:49:23 CET 2009

Andreas Fassl <afassl at ...> writes:
> after reading the docs it looks like I need an apache server to serve
> the cached mp3 content  for streaming on demand.
> Any experience in configuration of this setup?

No, but I have set up a site with videos streamed with a Flash widget. We let
the video files pass through the cache unaltered with something like

    if (req.url ~ "^/media/content") {
        pass;
    }

and send the request to a lighttpd backend. Lighttpd is easy to setup to serve
static files, modest in resource usage for this task and scales very well. The
disk cache in the operating system makes sure the files are in memory - it's
just a matter of having enough RAM to keep the requested data in memory. For
this reason, I don't think there's any point in using Varnish's cache in this
kind of setup.

Ole